Skip directly to content

Unemployment benefits

If you have been a member of an unemployment fund (a-kassa) and meet certain conditions you are entitled to claim unemployment benefits while you apply for jobs after graduation. It is generally the case that membership in such a fund is connected to trade union membership, though there are exceptions. The most important condition in order to receive unemployment benefits is to have been a member in an unemployment fund for at least 12 months. You cannot claim benefits during the time you are studying, even at doctoral level, since you must be applying for jobs and prepared to take available work. Note that receiving a study grant, even including a 20 percent commission as assistant, does not entitle you to benefits. Part-time studies with, for instance, a half-time employment as a PhD student reduces the level of unemployment benefits you may claim. Contact these unemployment funds and the trade unions for more detailed information about the rules and regulations relating to unemployment benefit.